Outcomes of services include:
- Legal Assistance for Victims of Domestic Violence and other crimes: Alpine provided more than 3,200 attorney hours on approximately 350 cases in 2016. This equates to a value of more than $480,000 in free legal services annually.
- Information and Referral: More than 1,800 people contact us annually seeking legal information for issues such as: tenant rights; evictions; debts; small claims actions; custody; divorce; civil rights; employment; and public benefits.
- Pro Bono Programs: We continue to develop relationships and recruit attorneys to take cases on a pro bono basis and to assist in teaching legal education classes. In 2016 more than 60 attorneys provided services to pro bono clients. We refer on average two cases a month, each attorney donates approximately 30 hours of services; if each attorney charges $300/hour, the total attorney fees is would be $216,000 a year. Additionally, 36 attorneys assisted in our legal education classes and consultations on a pro bono basis.
- Legal Education Clinics: In 2017 we will offer more than 40 educational clinics in the valley. Our do-it-yourself divorce clinic is offered each month.
- Night at the Bar: In 2017 we will offer 24 nights where volunteer lawyers are available for a fifteen minute private consultation on civil matters each month; once a month in Garfield County Courthouse, once a month in the Aspen Courthouse.
- Senior Legal Services: In 2016 we served nearly 300 seniors. From education and information on a variety of issues specific to senior citizens, to representing them in court. All area seniors are eligible to receive information and referrals. We also offer educational clinics specifically targeted to the senior populations; with topics like Advanced Medical Directives, and Wills and Estate planning. In 2017, Alpine Legal Services Collaborated with other agents to successfully organize and bring the first annual Senior Law Day to the Roaring Fork Valley. We hope to make the next Senior Law Day an even bigger success.
- Helping to Protect Children at Risk: Alpine Legal Services has seen an increase of children at risk due to an increase of drug use and abuse. We receive referrals to provide protection for children at risk from a variety of agencies including the Department of Human Services, law enforcement, and schools. Alpine provides representation needed to protect children at risk in civil matters.
- 9th Judicial Access to Justice Committee:
In 2014 we spearheaded an expansion of the local Access to Justice Committee to include judicial membership, local sheriff’s departments and local attorneys. This committee is looking at creative ways of addressing the growing problem of the rapidly growing number of self-represented litigants accessing the court system. In 2016, Alpine Legal Services in conjunction with the Access to Justice Committee presented two Family Law Days at which pro se litigants were able to receive free attorney consultations, mediations, parenting classes and assistance in completing forms. In 2017, Alpine Legal Services has taken the lead to coordinate with other agencies and organizations who assist seniors in organizing and putting on the first annual Senior Law Day which provides legal education and assistance to seniors in Eagle, Pitkin, and Garfield counties.